If you’re new to blogging and WP (WordPress) is your preferred platform, you should familiarize yourself with Yoast SEO. It is a plugin specifically designed for WP websites. This plugin allows you to manage your website’s SEO factors, including the content. By doing so, you’ll be able to improve SEO standards. Besides this, it measures the readability of your content in order to rank it higher on search engine result pages.
The purpose of this tutorial is to help you optimize your WordPress website with Yoast SEO, which can help you create an informative and professional website.
How does Yoast SEO work?
When you decide to start a blog but you are unfamiliar with Search Engine Optimization (SEO), will it be difficult to optimize your website to rank higher on search engines? The answer is no. WordPress plugin Yoast SEO will help you optimize your website for popular search engines like Google, Bing, and Yandex. Yoast SEO evaluates your content by judging it by several parameters and helps you rank higher than your rivals.
The on-page factors of your website and its pages are optimized by Search Engine Optimization, or SEO. The goal of optimizing your website is to modify the content to meet the standards of the Search Engine’s algorithm. When the content on your website aligns with the guidelines laid down by Google, it will automatically rank you higher on the search results.
How to install the Yoast SEO plugin?
It’s necessary to install Yoast SEO on your WordPress website before you can begin using it. Yoast SEO can be installed in a few simple steps. All that you need to do is follow the steps below and you will have the plugin installed on your website in no time:
- The Yoast plugin requires you to be logged into your WordPress
- Login to WP’s website by using its credentials, after successful sign-in a dashboard will appear.
- Next, you will see the dashboard menu on the left sidebar, click on the Plugins option to access all the Plugins on your page
- After that, use the search bar provided on the right side of the website to enter Yoast SEO
- Under the plugin, you will instantly see the Yoast SEO plugin, click the Install Now button
- Next, start the installation of the Yoast SEO plugin.
- Once the plugin has been successfully installed, an Activate button will replace the Install Now button
Lastly, press the Activate button and you’re all set!
A guide to Yoast SEO configuration
You should now be able to access your WordPress website’s dashboard after the installation was successful. Once you click on the Yoast SEO dashboard, you will directly be directed to the SEO tab. The first time you visit this site, you will see a headline saying First Time SEO Configuration and a link on it to the Configuration Wizard. After seeing the first screen of the ten-step wizard, click on the first link that says Configure Yoast SEO. However, here are the complete steps for Yoast SEO configuration:
Here, you will be given two options named Option A and B, and you’ll have to choose one. If your website is already live, choose Option A. However, if your website is still under development, you will need to select option B.
Type of website
In this step, you will need to select a category that will categorize your website. For example, you can choose blog or article category.
Organization or individual
Your next step is to specify if your WordPress website belongs to a business or an individual. You must provide the following details here if you choose the Organization option:
- Provide your organization’s name
- Upload your organization’s logo with a minimum size of 112x112px.
- If your website is for an organization, then mention all of your social media handles
Search Engine Visibility
To index your content, you must specify this in the step Search engine visibility. If you do not know how these settings work and are unsure about them, it would be best to leave them at default.
More than one author
If you are the sole author of your website, or if others are involved, you must specify that here. You can select ‘No’ here to stop Yoast SEO from creating duplicate content in the future when you deactivate author archives. Deactivating your author’s archives will show search engines that this page shouldn’t be indexed.
Google Search Console
The Google Search Console information is imported into Yoast SEO since it syncs with Google Search Console. If you’ve already signed up with Google Search Console, then you’ll need to authorize Yoast SEO to access the information.
The blog post title indicates that the blog will appear in Google search results and in any web browser tab. That’s why it is one of the significant steps.
That’s all you need to know about the configuration wizard. The following next steps will be asked of you by Yoast SEO:
- Register for their newsletter
- Purchase Yoast SEO’s premium version and get training on keyword research and plugins.
- You will receive a ‘Success’ notification after completion. Finally, click Close.
- Congratulation! You have successfully configured your WordPress site with Yoast SEO.
In summary, Yoast SEO enables you to easily improve the SEO standards of your website. Furthermore, it measures the readability of the content, which later helps the search engine rank the website higher.